03 November 2008

Procrastination

No one truly knows the meaning of this word until they are in college, I think.

I have compsci homework to do, reading to be specific--and it is boring as hell. That is the problem with computer science and math and other kinds of sciences... Who wants to read about them?! No one.
Also, the learning curve in computer science has flattened considerably. We are spending a whole chapter on Arrays, which are essentially lists of objects. They are actually really important, but since we haven't gotten around to really programming with them, it's hard to see why they are worthy of an entire chapter/week of my life.
Also, next week will probably be the most challenging of my college career--I missed classes last week because I was sick, and I'm going to have to spend all week catching up. Good thing midterms are over, or I'd be dead meat.

What if I want to major in Russian Lit and marry a rich person and do charity work?
Or be a pilot?
Or develop a luxury airline with gourmet airplane food?
Or be a plastic surgeon?
Or be a curator at an art museum?
Or be a freelance writer?


It's a crazy world out here...

6 comments:

Christian Asplund said...

Are you feeling happy or sad or some other emotion about all of these possible paths? I found the number of choices existentially daunting at your age. So I became an existentialist of sorts. Choices are daunting, aren't they? I've been thinking about that a lot lately.

Christian Asplund said...

That comment was from lara, not christian.

Eva said...

Freedom is paralizing sometimes. Sounds like a 1984 quote, but it's true.
However, the only thing I am really concerned about is that I'm not doing anything worthwhile NOW. Being a student feels so selfish when I could be volunteering as a nanny in an orphanage in china, or something.

Marni C. said...

Freedom is slavery?
I say go for the doctor option. Awesome career--wish I'd done it. Really.

Thanks for the call--I like sharing a hot chocolate w/you at Tom' Diner.

xo
Marni

Christian Asplund said...

yay--free plastic surgery for all!

Mark A. said...

Remember Andrea's tidbit:

10. What makes us feel liberated is not total freedom, but rather living in a set of limitations that we have created and prescribed for ourselves.

11. Things that we think are liberating can ultimately become restrictive, and things that we initially think are controlling can sometimes give us a sense of comfort and security.