The Locust Salon Vegetable Melange Chilli
adapted from/inspired by The Silver Palate New Basics Cookbook’s Vegetarian Chilli recipe
serves at least 20 people (we serve it over rice)
1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1 head garlic, peeled and minced
1 large bunch Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
2 T. dried oregano
½ c. fresh basil
¼ c. cocoa powder
1-2 T. chilli powder
1 T. cumin
1 T. fennel seeds
3 squirts (or less) or sriracha (if you don’t want it spicy, leave it out—go slow and add one squirt at a time so as not crank the heat up too high for your taste)
8 oz. brown or white mushrooms, cut in half
2 sweet red peppers, cut into uniformly sized chunks
3 zucchini, cut into 3-inch chunks
3 white, yellow or red potatoes in 3-inch chunks (skins on)
1 eggplant, in 3-inch chunks
1 c. sweet frozen corn
2 16 oz. cans each of black beans, garbanzo beans, and red beans, drained and rinsed
2 32 oz. cans of whole tomatoes with juice
2 c. water
½ c. polenta
fresh lemon to taste
salt to taste
1) Saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium low until translucent. Turn up the heat a bit and add parsley, basil and dried herbs and spices, then cocoa powder. When everything has roasted a bit, add vegetables one type at a time and soften them slightly.
2) Add tomatoes and water, then beans.
3) Simmer for about 20 minutes until vegetables are barely tender, and then add corn and polenta.
4) Simmer for about 15 minutes more, until polenta and vegetables are at desired tenderness.
5) Add salt, sriracha (if desired) and a few squirts of lemon until the chilli meets your desired level of spiciness, savory-ness, and brightness.