07 September 2008

Ich leibe meine Gastfamilie!

I arrived at my host family's house yesterday, and they are very wonderful. I nearly cried when I left my Language Camp friends and started reading the heartfelt notes they had written in my journal on the train. As soon as I reached my HF, though, I determined that I would probably be for real crying when I got on the bus to the Frankfurt airport in June. They are super chill and okay with me walking around the house barefoot. They have "ein kleine Hund" named Charlie or something, and I have a quaint room with an excellent view of a pear tree. When I entered my room, I saw that there was a stuffed snowman on my pillow, and a flower and Kinder bar on my bedside table. Fer cute! I would tell you the German word for cute but
a. I can't remember it, and
b. It is one of the least cute words ever. In fact, it sounds a teensy bit vulgar. But all German words sound vulgar.

7 comments:

lara said...

They sound wonderful. How can I thank them adequately?d

Eva said...

I'm so glad you posted! And emailed me, even if it was only one sentence!!!
Tell your host family hello for me, and that they'd better work hard if they ever want to be able to hold a candle to your awesome cosmopolitan college sister.

Eva said...

p.s. how do they like your millions of presents?
p.p.s. what is charlie?

Marni C. said...

i hope that charlie is a morkie. my favorite dog breed right now. xoxo to you ingie!

Boyd said...

Well your host family sounds fantastical! glad things are going well.
Boyd

P.S. I believe the German word for cute is "hubsch", but my german is far worse then sketchy at best so...

thomas said...

wait--charlie's a dog? i thought it was a person, some kind of german house-slave.

Bing said...

Ha. If only we had a German house slave. They loved the presents. Everybody love southern Utah, especially Germans.