05 December 2009

introduction/conclusion

Even though I cringe when my kids bring home their fifth/sixth grade five paragraph essays with the thesis repeated in both the intro and conclusion, a practice I have to undo in every writing class I teach later on down the road, this particular example of thesis restatement transcends with it's incredible cuteness:

Dear Mom and Dad,

Doesn't everyone love a family bike ride? Or a beautiful peace of art?

or even just a great pair of shoes? Well those happen to be the 3 things I want for christmas and I'm about to tell you why I want those things.


The first reason I want a bike is because we live in Provo and if I had a bike I could ride so many places like school. It would also be better for the earth. And plus I've always wanted a bike.


The second thing I want for Christmas is a set of markers. The first reason is Grandma and Grandpa always ask me to draw pictures for them but all my markers are kind of dried out so I gave them to Moses and Cecily. And if I get a big set of markers I won't have to get markers for school.


The next thing I want for christmas is simply a couple of pairs of shoes. The first reason is, winter is coming and I'm going to need some good shoes, and also there are these shoes called Uggs that I really want.


Those are the reasons why I want shoes, a bike and a set of markers.



Sincerely,

Lula


5 comments:

Marni C. said...

Lula is brilliant.

shaunita said...

she makes her case well! what a smart kid.

Eva said...

Oh, man. I love this.

Geo said...

I wonder if I could commission her to write my letter to Santa this year. She's very persuasive.

Walther von der Vogelweide said...

The letter is indeed adorable.

I rebelled against thesis restatement when I was first taught it and found out the hard way that it was really all that the teacher was looking for in an essay. My parents were on the teacher's side. Too bad you weren't my mom.