25 September 2010

Produce

(This image is from this article on the Provo Farmer's Market)

I've been a little (read: a lot) crazy in the past six months.  Today feels like a coming together--all the kids are settled in school, the house is clean, the laundry caught up, and I'm rested and practiced yoga five times this week, which keeps me so much calmer than I've ever been in my whole life.   In addition to calming me down, yoga is keeping my body free of pain--I can't believe how many years I went waking up every morning with sore hips, back and/or shoulders.  

Lula and I had a little date to the Farmer's Market, where, though I promised myself I would be restrained, I spent my entire food budget for the next few days on produce: the prettiest pair of twin stripy aubergines, a bag of perfect peaches, Jonathan apples, peppers, a big, leafy head of cabbage, some tomatoes and zucchini.  Kindra also gave me some sweet yellow tomatoes from her garden, three acorn squash, cherry tomatoes, and some overgrown summer squash with the tough skin (what to do with those?).  We also admired some beautiful hand-made tin jewelery, soaps, and lotions. 
 
The new calmer, less busy and anxious me is returning to the kitchen a little bit at a time, and renewing my commitment to local, from scratch family cooking to the best of my budget and ability.  So, here are some things I'll be making this week:

*Roasted Acorn Squash/Carrot Soup
*Zucchini Bread
*Sausage Stuffed Peppers
*Eggplant Lasagne
*French Onion Soup (I have to use up my 50 lb. bag of onions)
*Apple Galette
*Spaghetti w/ Fresh Tomato and Basil Sauce

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm so glad you've returned to blogging. For one thing, you inspire me to eat better and cook better. :)